Last weekend when I visited the local farmers market, I picked up a nice bag of arugula, one my of my favorite greens, a great source of fiber, vitamins A and C, magnesium and calcium. Using ingredients I already had at home- goat cheese, sweet onions (high in folic acid) and grape tomatoes, which are also high in Vitamins A and C, as well as the antioxidant lycopene, I made one of my easy go-to meals, my own personal vegetarian pizza.
Arugula, Caramelized Onion, Grape Tomato and Goat Cheese Personal Pizza
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serving size: 1 pita
1 medium sweet onion
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 whole wheat pita bread
4 cups of fresh arugula
4 Tbsp goat cheese
16-20 grape tomatoes
Your favorite olive oil and balsamic vinegar
1. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Slice onion. Add to melted butter to coat onions well. Spread onion slices evenly in the pan and stir occasionally for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. For extra-dark onions, cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. During the cooking process, if the onions start to dry out, add a splash of water to the pan.
2. After the onions have been cooking for 10 or 15 minutes, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I used basil olive oil and peach white balsamic vinegar) over the arugula. Toss well.
3. Brush pita bread with olive oil. Top with arugula (at least 1 cup of arugula for each pita). Add desired amounts of caramelized onions (I like a lot, so I used ¼ cup for each pita). If you’ve got leftover caramelized onions, refrigerate up to 1 week to use for future meals.
4. Add the grape tomatoes (about 4-5 each pita) on top of arugula. Top with goat cheese (about 1 Tbsp each pita).
5. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place each pita on the sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!